The roots of Chanceford Church began to grow in the year 1747 when a spiritual awakening or "revival" swept northward from Harford Co. Md. into our area. As a result a log church was constructed at the juncture of Muddy Creek and Scotts Run in Peach Bottom Township. This area was also known as "the Barrens" because the land was denuded of timber from the annual fires kindled by local indians. This building which was said to have been the first Presbyterian Church in York County was used for several years, but burned to the ground around 1750.
After its destruction, part of the congregation gathered to the south (Slate Ridge) and part to the north (Chanceford) in new locations. Chanceford built their first church in a hollow next to a spring about 200 yards South of the present church property in 1752. Their first pastor was Rev. Eleager Whittlesey who also served the Slate Ridge Church simultaneously.
The log church was turned over to the community for a school house, and a stone church was built on the southeast side of the present cemetery. In 1850, the log building became the school house, and a new brick building was constructed and dedicated on June 6, 1851. This building is our present day social hall. Approximately 35 years later, our present sanctuary was built of Port Deposit granite and was dedicated for use on May 25, 1887.
Thirty-six pastors have served Chanceford through its 260 years. The longest tenure being that of Rev. Samuel Martin D.D. who preached for 45 years in the early to mid 1800's and the second longest tenure is that of Rev. Harry R. Robinson who preached for 26 years between 1984 and 2010.
God has seen Chanceford through good times and trying times and we trust that our work for Him will continue until our Savior comes again.